Straight out of university and straight onto a plane: The graduate living the dream of millions
13:35![]() |
| Photo: Connor Michie |
Travelling across the world visiting multiple countries is perhaps one of the most common and desirable bucket-list wishes that anybody can have. The idea of broadening your horizons, meeting new people, and experiencing different cultures is extremely alluring, and yet for many people, it forever remains a dream.
Cross-country travelling with nothing more than a backpack to your name requires commitment, which clashes heavily with the typical adult lifestyle. Recurring things such as bills and relationships means many cannot just quit their job and disappear for a year or two.
Connor Michie graduated from Brunel University only last summer. For him, this was the now-or-never time to be brave, and book the flights and hostels – or risk forever missing the perfect opportunity.
“I don’t think - for big things like travelling - that anybody is ever going to be 100% ready, but I knew that I wasn’t ready to start settling down and pursuing a career”, he recalls.
“I had a list of destinations – a dream to travel, I suppose. I had the funds to go and do it. It was just a case of having no obligations left, and there’s no way I would’ve been able to settle without doing it.”
Running away from your problems
Criticism exists from some groups, who’ll often proclaim that people go backpacking merely to escape reality, and that they’re running away from the real world. Connor instantly rejected the sentiment:
“To say travel is addressing none of your problems is a bit cynical. You’re not running away from yourself; you are allowed to be more yourself than usual, I think.
“I wanted to eat some amazing food, meet some new people, and build some amazing connections around the world.
“I wasn’t running away from things – I was running to them whilst I had the opportunity.”
![]() |
| The gorgeous scenes of Queenstown, New Zealand | Photo: Connor Michie |
Globetrotter
Connor had a vast and diverse list of locations – all of which, he explains, were long-term dream destinations that had been on his mind for years.
Highlights of his vast travels across the world included Venice, Italy, which he described as “unreasonably beautiful”. From there, he travelled East to the “wonderfully alive” Hong Kong, as well as Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Australia amongst many others.
Currently at the date of publication, Connor resides with family members in Queenstown, New Zealand, with a one year working visa in the country. With a stable retail job and a car purchased from the local classifieds, he intends to stay there for as long as his visa allows him to, for an experience he continuously expresses his gratitude for.
“I’m always very aware of how much of a privileged position I’m in to be doing this sort of thing.
“Not many people have savings after graduating, and I’m sure even less have family residing in such a dream destination. But if I am able to do this sort of thing, and I wanted to do it, then I’d kick myself later down the line if I didn’t seize the opportunity.”
![]() |
| Connor made sure to tick as many bucket list boxes as he possibly could | Photo: Connor Michie |
Not all fun and games
Whilst travelling is often fantasied as a life dream, there are a fair share of downsides that may need to be considered. Connor reflects back on what he would change if he could do the whole thing all over again:
“Not all the hostels were stellar – I would want to do my research on them more carefully next time. Some of their safety standards were dodgy - I managed to fall out of the bunk bed in Vietnam and almost fainted from the ordeal - and others had a really weird atmosphere. The one in Bologna felt like a cult.
“I also wish I could’ve stayed longer in some countries. It felt like I was getting a snapshot of places as I passed through within days, and it wasn’t the full experience.”
Ultimately, though, what would Connor suggest to anyone else considering a backpacking global tour?
“I know it’s cliché and slightly useless – but just go and do it. It’s never not daunting, but once you budget, figure out travel routes and ideally know where you’re staying, the rest just comes. Being vigilant with your hostel research will definitely pay off.
“It’s important to stay safe, absolutely. Always have precautions on that part, and do your research. But if you’re willing to travel, and you really want it, try and make it happen because it’s a fantastic investment. You’ll learn so, so much.”



0 comments