iPhone XR 15 month ownership report: is Android sorely missed?

17:38

I've  had my iPhone XR sitting in my pocket for just about 15 months now, which, to me, is mad. It only felt like a couple of months ago when I walked into the trendy (and culty) Apple store, and set out the rather appetising interest-free finance arrangement for my first step into iOS for a mobile phone.

Usually, you'll see a load of write-ups for 6 months of ownership, or perhaps 12 months. This write-up is after 15 months, because I'm lazy and I forgot to write something at a meaningful point in time. Better late than never, hey.

What I ultimately want to see is if moving to iOS has been worth it. I've had iPads since 2012, but I've stuck with Android for my mobiles until now, mainly just because there always tended to be an Android to suit my budget. With iPhones, it's either nothing or everything, with no real budget options besides the SE.



So firstly, let's start with what I've enjoyed with my iPhone ownership so far.

The good stuff

The battery has done me so well. When I first got the phone, it was a legitimate two-day battery life with moderate usage, and even with heavy, antisocial usage it was almost impossible to kill it before you went to bed. Even today, 15 months later, the battery still easily lasts for a day without any worries about conservation. It's definitely not a two-day battery anymore, though.

Compare that to my Samsung S7 Edge (my previous phone), which needed a top-up in the afternoon if you used it anything more than regularly, it's a refreshingly free feeling not to worry about bringing a battery bank with you for your travels.

iOS is a software that's love/hate, in my eyes. To achieve the things that you love about it, there has to be things you'll hate, too. For example, it's a beautifully optimised system. It's light on the battery, as we just discussed, and the phone barely ever stutters or hangs, regardless of what you throw at it. It's buttery, but it's also locked down in Apple's pursuit of optimisation. Every iPhone feels the same - you can't customise iOS like you can with Android. But I guess that's a necessary evil to have things like the smoothness and the fast software updates - it just depends where your priorities lie.

The camera is also great on the iPhone. The XR came with just a single lens on the rear - which is a bit old school these days - but that one sensor does a great job. Contrast is great, stabilisation is excellent, the colours are pleasing to the eye (if a little oversaturated), and video looks gorgeous. The camera still holds up well today, even as we head into 2020. I haven't found myself missing out on zoom or wide-angle sensors, but I wouldn't say no to them, either.

Lastly, and perhaps most surprisingly, I found myself getting on well with Face ID. This was something that I expected to dislike, after swearing that fingerprint scanners (like on my S7) were superior. In some specific circumstances, the fingerprint is better - e.g. if your phone is flat on a table, you have to actually hover your head over it to get the iPhone to unlock, which just looks daft. But 98% of the time, Face ID is so seamless that you barely miss other ways to unlock your phone. As long as you're looking at the screen, the phone will unlock almost as quick as you can swipe to unlock the screen. It's a great system that even works in pitch black conditions, and I don't doubt Apple will keep refining it over the next few years.

My iPhone experience hasn't been perfect, though. Let's have a look at some of the things where the XR falls a bit flat.

The less good stuff

The screen isn't that great. Sure, it's a fairly modern edge-to-edge design (albeit with some rather large bezels), but it's an LCD panel that's only just about 720p. It sounds like something straight out of 2012 - in fact, it has the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 from 2010. It's not a bad display per say, since the colours are good and things look sharp until you pixel-peep, but you really expect more from an £800 phone. Coming from my 1440p Samsung OLED panel, this was by far the largest downgrade.

Siri is bloody useless, too. What I like about Google Assistant and Alexa is that they're fairly human and contextual in their responses. If you ask Google Assistant a question, they'll read out an answer they took from the web, which 99% of the time is what you're looking for. More often than not, Siri will just take what you asked it, and respond with "Here's what I found on the web." You then have to click the search results, which takes you to Safari. What's the bloody point of that? If I wanted to surf the web, I would've just gone on my browser in the first place. The whole point of a smart assistant to me is having answers read to me, like a person. I remember when Siri was cutting edge back when it was announced. Now, it's just useless.

This is another side effect of the Apple ecosystem, but I don't like the Lightning connection. Again, this is one of those things that was cool when it was announced, back in 2012. In those days, everyone was using crappy Micro USB connectors, and Lightning appeared futuristic and simple. Today, everyone uses USB-C, and having Lightning alongside just doesn't make sense. The Macbooks are USB-C, the iPad Pros are USB-C, so why do I need to carry another cable for my phone? Additionally, I can't even plug in my phone to my Macbook with the supplied cable, since the other end of the Lightning cable is USB-A (the normal rectangular connection) - and modern Macbooks don't have a USB-A connection. It's a daft example of connection fragmentation, and I really hope Apple sorts it out sooner, rather than later.

Conclusion

Overall, though, I'm happy. I do wish sometimes there was a bit more customisation with my iPhone - I can't even toggle an option to display battery percentage, for god's sake. But what I lose with customisation I gain massively with stability and support. Add on the fantastic camera, generally preferential treatment from app developers, and good integration with my other Apple products, and it looks like I'll be hanging on to this XR for some time yet. 

0 comments