Yulin Dog Meat Eating Festival - Time To Say Goodbye?

13:09

You may have heard of it, or you may not have. The Yulin festival is a regular event in China where dogs are sold via fierce negotiation, and then cooked and eaten. Horrible, right? Well, if you say so.

You may be very unsurprised to hear that this event has serious uproar from animal right activists. In fact, there is a petition online that almost has four million signatures as I type. Celebrities from all over the world such as comedian Ricky Gervais have managed to get the hashtag #StopYuLin2015 trending all over Twitter. Nevertheless, the event proceeded as normal this year. Still though, it's clear that this is far from a popular event.



But let's put the brakes on our displeasure towards the event for a second, and just bear with me for a short amount of time. You may not agree with my opinion here, but hopefully you will at least be able to see where I am coming from.

I'm going to be blunt here: people are only truly hating on this event because dogs in the Western world are seen as cute, cuddly companions. I mean, how many times have you looked at your next door neighbour's dog and wondered what gas mark Rover needs in order to get a succulent meat without burning the outside? You just don't - and I bet some of you cringed slightly just by reading that.

Meanwhile, in China and a few other countries, the dog is not seen in the same kind of light. Of course they aren't monsters, but they see dogs in the same way that we see cows: a source of food, plain and simple. It's just a cultural difference. To rub salt into the wound, and make us Westerners sound even more culturally ignorant, let me remind you that the cow is sacred to Hindus. Do you hear them complaining? No, because it's called being culturally tolerant.



Some of you may now take the chance to point out that the people campaigning are animal rights activists, not dog's rights. And I'm sure plenty of them are. But I bet my right arm that at least half of the people that signed the petition enjoy a nice rump steak every now and then. Or perhaps some lovely, crispy bacon. Those are the people who are culturally ignorant, and need to understand that a world exists outside their little bubble.

So, for me, the general idea of a dog eating festival makes me incredibly uncomfortable and a little bit squirmy, simply because I was brought up in a world where dogs are quite literally Man's Best Friend. But I would never sign that petition, because I had cod yesterday, and some beef burgers a few days before that. I have no authority to dictate what another culture should and shouldn't follow, according to my morals.

Sorry if this post came across as a little bit rant-like today, but I just can't handle some people who are a bit too narrow-minded. Have you eaten chocolate recently? I think I'm going to start a little community that makes chocolate sacred.


#StopChocFest2015 

0 comments