A Friendly Message To The Vatican

22:52

I'm a non-religious person. I don't believe in a god, a heaven or hell, and I certainly don't believe natural disasters or miracles are a result of an upper power's decision. It's just not my thing. Now, a few decades ago this would've been an insane thing to publically admit; the UK is a firm Christian country after all, despite what the far right political groups such as UKIP may try and persuade you otherwise. But this isn't a piece allowing me to bash religion, because I don't want to. I know many religious people, and I've never had the urge to change their beliefs, because, you know, it's called respect. But anyhow.

It's widely known now that religion in the Western world is losing traction, even in America. If we take our own country as an example, a survey with 64,000 participants reported by the Telegraph shows that 53% of Britons identify themselves as non-religious. Pretty ironic you might agree, when you consider we have the world-famous Christian Royal Family, and how David Cameron likes to bash on about how we're a firm Christian country. Technically we are, but if the majority of people now identify themselves with no religion at all, then what's caused this noticeable decline?

It's always sat in my head for a long period of time. While it could vaguely be explained with the fact that most young people are liberal and most older people are conservative, I was still left wondering as to why the decline has gained so much momentum recently. But then, an event happened recently, and it all just clicked into place - just like when I complete jigsaw puzzles. That's if I ever could be asked to complete a jigsaw puzzle, but whatever. The event in question was Ireland's recent successful referendum on same-sex marriages.

When the results unfolded on May 22nd, I was happy for them. I may be biased in my non-religious ways of thinking, but I believe marriage should be something everyone can experience. "Typical liberal leftie", scowls a Daily Mail reader.

Ireland's citizens thoughtfully provide others with a free colour-blind test

You may not be that surprised to hear the Vatican did not approve of this vote. Naturally, of course, it goes against their beliefs, and as I said earlier, you just have to respect that. But what a Vatican official said took me back somewhat. According to Cardinal Pietro Parolin, he was "very saddened" by the result. He carries on to say "I think that you cannot just talk of a defeat for Christian principles, but of a defeat for humanity."

Woah, a defeat for humanity? And, Mr Parolin, just how would a gay marriage actually affect you? I understand that as a Vatican official, it is important to retain the Christian traditions. But some traditions are just toxic, and we've moved away from them for a reason. If society kept many old traditions, then I would still see evidence of consistent serious racism and segregation in the UK, and my hypothetical wife would be staying at home every day looking after the house, and never getting a job. I'm telling you, I'm glad I live in an age where that doesn't happen.

So, the Vatican. May I propose that you have to face the harsh reality: people's morals are changing with every generation, but the Christian morals haven't changed since day dot. Once the final generation of general conservative-minded people sadly pass away, then who are they going to be left with? Generally speaking, they'll be left with people admiring Darwin on their banknotes.

That's broad enough to be ignorant, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to put across. If the Vatican want to maintain a strong religious following, then they need to adapt that religion to what the people see as right these days. That means women in equal authorities, absolutely zero discrimination towards homosexual people, and the acceptance that marriage just isn't the done thing these days. I could go on, but I won't.

I've got £10 on the next Pope being the most wonderfully camp person you'll ever see. You heard it here first.





0 comments