Sixth Form: An Emotional Rollercoaster

23:42

I haven't posted here for quite a while. So for the dusting of individuals who do occasionally visit this place: sorry.

Right, half-arsed apology out of the way; now onto the subject. I have been studying at sixth form since September, and I feel like I can come to a nice closing conclusion on how I feel about the past six months of this 'It's like school but it isn't' kind of thing.

Interestingly, I'll come to that conclusion now: sixth form is very much a case of ups and downs. It's hard to determine which one is stronger, because some days I feel happy and cheery, and others I come home incredibly exhausted. Let's go through what these ups and downs are...

Cheery - The freedom

It's no secret that sixth form is a lot more relaxed than school. I have plenty of gaps in my timetable in-between lessons that allow me to chill and do homework (read: chat to friends and play on my phone). Without these breathers, I and everybody else would've probably collapsed by now.

Not only that, the teachers are a lot more lenient as well. Well, most of them are. The idea is that you're an adult now: if you have your phone out in class and not paying attention, the teacher won't tell you off because it's your education that's suffering - it's your downfall. So far as I can tell, many classmates have decided to balance their attention between phone and teacher. A fine skill, if you ask me.

Not so cheery - The homework

Does it surprise you when I say that sixth form throws homework at you like there's no tomorrow? Probably not. It surprised me, though, because I assumed there would be less homework once I completed my GCSEs, with my logic being less subjects equals less homework. Pretty sound, right?

Well apparently not. Everyone's experience will differ depending on the school and the subjects they take on, but if it's anything like mine, then homework comes at you endlessly. Now, I know you're meant to use your free periods on your timetable to do it, but come on, who really does that? As far as I can tell, everybody leaves homework to the last day (and rightly so). Only trouble is that this means I end up doing about five long essays on a Sunday night. My fault, yes. But I maintain that whoever came up with the idea of homework needs to be hung and quartered. *Ignores the fact that they're probably long dead*

Cheery - Your esteemed colleagues

Your classmates at school are always people you have judgement on. You get on with a scattering of them, but the rest of them are just the most odious people you've ever met. But you just have to accept that people are different, and you just tend to do your work and ignore their existence.

Sixth form is different, interestingly. You just seem to get on with a lot more people. Don't get me wrong, you do not suddenly become best friends with everybody you suddenly see, but you may be asking help for the work to someone you dreaded at school. It's a situation that can perhaps only be explained by the more relaxed atmosphere in the classroom, but it's nice nonetheless. 

Not so cheery - Mock exams

Oh boy, this one is a real downer for me. Let's get the bleedin' obvious out of the way first: sixth form consists of highly important exams that shape your future. Suddenly GCSEs seem irrelevant. That means it's probably a good idea if mock exams are taken to prepare us for what's coming.

So why is it not so cheery, then? Well, besides the fact that mock exams are just plain depressing, sixth form seems to have them ALL THE BLOODY TIME. We did proper 'on the individual exam desk' exams at November, late January and now March. It doesn't help that these mocks are meaningless towards the final grade, so how do I find the motivation to sit dead silent and write furiously for two hours knowing there's no reward?

So, sixth form then. If it does one thing, it roots out and exposes the lazy arses.

0 comments