I've Just Watched My First Teen Film And I Enjoyed It

01:08

I haver never thought of myself to be an 'Alpha Male' kind of guy. Perhaps I'm a 'Beta Male'... geddit? Better? OK, I'll stop.

In more relevance to the title of this post, I am not someone who is a film-lover. I'm fairly sure I've talked about this before, so I'll keep it short and say I just get quite easily bored with them. My issue is my mind thinks too logically - yes, hear me out here. When watching a film, my mind knows 'this isn't real', and I'm always subconsciously thinking that. The end result means I can never depart from the real world and enjoy this wonderfully fantastic story that's being shown to me on the big screen. It is a big shame.

One day, I was browsing on the amazing site that is Imgur, and came across a post that shows a gif of this character introduction in this film. It was quite good, and with everyone commenting things like 'OMGG BEST FILM EVA!!!11!!1', my curiosity rose. I was hoping to find someone in the comments asking what the film name was. Sure enough, my knight in sparking armour was there with the million dollar question. The film turned out to be something called '10 Things I Hate About You'.

I was so intrigued by this film at this point, so much so that I bashed it into Google. Turns out this film is a teenage romantic-comedy. Now I never judge anything at all ever, but I immediately knew this film would be pissing awful. The thought of a cheesy American film with a plot on the wrong side of predictable was floating round my head.

Then I saw the 7.2 score on IMDB. OK then, this film might actually be alright. After all, not many teenage films get that high. I decided to take the plunge, and watched it. Expectations were low, fidget levels were forecasted to be unseasonably high.

And then, my life changed forever.

Based from the Shakespeare play 'The Taming
of the Shrew'
I'm not going to go on in-depth like some kind of film critic (do your own bloody homework about the plot), but this film was seriously something amazing. Screw you Disney, this is the true definition of magical.

Never had I felt before to re-watch a film immediately after finishing one, but that changed after this. The silliest thing is that I can't even work out why I love it so much; it is in essence a basic teen love plot filled with some jokes.

Perhaps it was the characters. You really root behind nearly all of the protagonists - something even the big boys can't always manage - and feel the emotion that they feel. Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles do an amazing job with their characters, not forgetting Larisa Oleynik and Joseph Gordon Levitz as well of course. I'm really not sure.

What I am sure of is that this film also left me a little bit disappointed, but not in the way you might imagine. Coming away from this, I felt I had hit my 'best movie ever', and nothing in the near future will be able to top that. It's safe to say that I don't want to ever see another rom-com ever again, however ignorant that may sound.

If this film flew as low under your radar as it did mine, then I suggest you watch it. Unless you are 95 and have the same humour as a burnt sausage, then I suggest you stick to Question Time. 

Jack has put a corny rom-com at the top of his movie list. Yep, definitely not Alpha Male.

0 comments